<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Yes, well, an absence of not quite a week, the longest by far since letting more than 2 people know of this address sometime in late January. With good reason: Yesterday found me printing the first physically extant copy of a complete draft of my dissertation and delivering it to two of the three reading members of my committee. (The third is sometimes a bit difficult to find. Do I sound nervous?) Last week was spent, first, expanding the last chapter from a 12 page kernel to a 50 page, er, cob; then, cutting 30 pages of redundancy, irrelevance, and specious argument out of what had turned into a ridiculous 260-page document. (Also, far too many occurrences of the phrases "Notice that...," and "One might try to argue...." Some of these remain to be rooted out.) I await word from my chair on how much else can go straight out the window; 180 is closer to the norm in our department. (Shorter still if it's a highly technical work in logic or semantics, or if you actually happen to prove something.)

Almost too perfect: Finishing the cuts on Monday night (though I normalized some citations the next a.m.), leaving the house at 9:30, and walking into the Troubadour three minutes before the Mekons took the stage. I cannot remember what they opened with (though the dusted-off "Corporal Chalkie" was second), but between this and the previous evening's acoustic, seated (the band as well) show/reading at McCabe's guitar shop (which began with a very abstruse mbria/harmonium "This Sporting Life,") they played a number of songs I haven't heard them do for several cycles: "Oblivion," "Prince of Darkness," "Hey! Susan," "Ghosts of American Astronauts" (the line "A flag flying free in a vaccum" had not struck me so hard before), plus, on the 'folk' night, "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere." Hilarity and joy I can't capture here, especially with the complicating feature of Sally Timms' simultaneously enthusiastic and annoyed stage manner. Fortunately, I wasn't there to be a critic -- I danced, did the prescribed wave during "Now We Have The Bomb," and considered the fact that I've been seeing this band, probably on average once a year or a bit more, since 1988. As much as I loved Honky Tonkin' and Rock and Roll (the ones that came out when I was doing college radio), I don't think I would have expected them to be not just good, but vital, 15-or-so years later.

I also managed to see Dizzee at the Key Club (formerly Billboard Live, on the site of pay-to-play haven Gazzari's) Thursday. Unpleasant place, bad sound (worse for the headliner than opening crews, one of whom should probably not make a big deal out of being from Colorado), uninspiring DJ (fucked up badly at least once -- I almost think digital tracks would have been better) and sidekick ("if you know this one, sing along; if you don't, buy the album!"), but you know, the kid has it -- the best parts of the show were three voice-only raps, one about how he got started, one along the lines of the street-life tracks on the album ("from the gift of the gab to the gift to the gauge" was one line I caught), and one, to close, seemingly about his doubts about the music business. Rapid, showy, and extremely musical -- I assume there are other MCs who, for practical purposes, act as their own beatbox while actually speaking words, but this seemed top-flight, I don't think entirely out of ignorance. Crowd 90/10 white, at least; Rael said it looked like the people you'd see at a Squarepusher show; this music clearly means something different here than at home.

Also: His voice has deepened a touch since the record -- the "Wot!"s in "Jus a Rascal" did not sound as poultryish. Still, it's all up for grabs -- I thought I heard him say "Chateau Marmont!" between songs, but I could also swear he says "grade complaint" on the album.

I'm between set tasks at the moment, so I may see Metal Urbain this evening, if this little nap notion I have right now works out. After that, probably in and out of this space for the next 3 weeks. (Though, the annual Film Noir fest at The Egyptian starts in early April, so there will probably be more screening notes.)

Lastly: It looks 95% certain that I will be writing 30,000 words about an album I've owned since well before I'd ever heard of the Mekons. (And someone will be paying me, modestly, to do so.)


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?