<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Third wettest L.A. season on record, and counting.

~~~

Perry Mason: "Do you recognize this?"
Witness: "Why yes, it's...my monkey scarf."

~~~

You Can't Take It With You (1938, Frank Capra). I wish I thought Lionel Barrymore's libertarian was meant by the actor or director to be insufferable, but I doubt it. (By the original playwrights, Kaufman & Hart, possibly.) Edward Arnold is practically the only real life in this "warmly humanist" claptrap -- even Mischa Auer oversells it.

~~~

"The problem of understanding why our attitude toward bullshit is generally more benign than our attitude toward lying is an important one, which I shall leave as an exercise for the reader."

-- Harry Frankfurt, On Bullshit (Princeton U.P., 2005)

~~~

I must have looked dazed in the 76 station minimart this evening. 60 yr-old (he told me) Armenian cashier: "Sometimes it is too difficult to choose, because always there is something new." (It might have been "every minute.")

~~~

Helped out at KSPC by interviewing one Thomas Venker, editor of the German music magazine Intro in advance of a small symposium this afternoon (which I couldn't attend). He used the phrase "socialized by indie-rock" more than once in explaining his perspective, though we also touched on European hip-hop and his electronica label onitor. Also learned that Adam Green of Moldy Peaches is even bigger than, e.g. Conor O. in Germany, appearing on "TV my parents would watch."

~~~

Everything else I did today was a waste of time (I only teach Tue. and Thurs.); didn't even get the chance to find out if I'd work or procrastinate, b/c of completely external matters. Saving graces of awful driving experiences, Mon./Wed.: Ornette, This Is Our Music, Disc One of an industry-only 4 disc set of Bacharach hits (mostly overlapping with the Rhino BB box, of course), KSPC jazz DJ doing a Harold Arlen tribute this a.m., inc. a great Kenny Burrell "That Old Black Magic."

~~~

"Pop groups tell us to love syllables"

--Lisa Robertson The Weather, if I'm remembering it right. If not, I'll change it when I get the book out of my car.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?